Urban bicycling has become a symbol of simplicity, freedom, and social consciousness. Dr. P. Murali Doraiswamy, professor of psychiatry and medicine at Duke Medical Center, in an article in the Wall Street Journal, suggests five reasons why city bicycling is now cool and, some might say, downright sexy:
1. HEALTH: Biking to work (or for leisure) is one of the best exercises for cardio-aerobic fitness. Biking is also gentler on joints than running.
2. HABITS: It reduces the time available for bad habits such as sedentary TV times or smoking.
3. WORK: Exercise enhances brain functions and mood. Physically active people are more productive and less likely to call in sick.
4. COOL FACTOR: Save the environment. The Copenhagen Wheel (developed at MIT) is a bike wheel that captures energy during braking and becomes an electric hybrid to allow riders to navigate difficult hills more easily.
5. SAFETY: Greater use of bikes may reduce motor vehicle accidents, which in the U.S. is the leading cause of death in young adults.